November 11, 2009

College Football: Week 11 Preview

Another light week, because I'm headed to Cincinnati to see my very own live college football game at what Brent Musburger informed me last weekend is the second-oldest stadium in the country!

#25 West Virginia at #5 Cincinnati
Zach Collaros is getting the start for the Bearcats over Tony "Wally Pipp" Pike and while you know I like Tony Pike (and pocket passers!), I'm excited to see Collaros in action. I won't settle for less than 500 yards of total offense. While Cincinnati should win on paper, West Virginia, and particularly Noel Devine, can be a slippery little bugger. And they held UConn to 24 points, which greatly bests the Cincy's defensive "effort" against the Huskies. At the very least, it's hard to see the Bearcats scoring 50 points on the Mountaineers, so their relatively inexperienced defense will have to show up.
Prediction: Cincinnati has this game, then a rapidly improving Illinois team comes to visit, then they end the regular season with what could be the game of the year at #12 Pitt. This is the meat of their season and Coach Kelly will have their eyes on the prize. Go Bearcats!

Notre Dame at #12 Pittsburgh
I'm going to try to convince my friends to watch this one on Saturday, but there's a lot of talk about going out to dinner, so I'm going to tape it so I can watch it at home if necessary. Big game somehow not diminished by Notre Dame's hilarious loss to Navy last weekend. Pitt QB Bill Stull is reportedly playing well (he couldn't be worse than last year, really) and it sounds like the Panthers are the real deal. If Notre Dame can get this one on the road, it will do a lot towards silencing the critics.
Prediction: Tough, because I haven't seen Pitt this year (which is why I will be scouting them for Cincinnati!). But the Irish defense has been lit up by all of the halfway decent teams it has faced and I have no reason to believe that Pitt will fare any differently. Jimmy Clausen will throw for about 800 yards, but it won't be enough...I hope.

Really bummed I'm not going to be able to get #16 Utah at #4 TCU - Mom and Dad, will you watch this one if you get the chance?

The oldest stadium is at the University of Pennsylvania, in case you were wondering :)

1 comment:

Debra Snider said...

Apparently, we don't get Utah & TCU. Current guide gives us bad Alabama game instead. With any luck, that will change - we are sitting here right next to Utah after all!

Have fun in Cincinnati!