December 2, 2009

College Football: Week 14 Preview

Thursday, 8PM: #16 Oregon State at #7 Oregon
The Civil War (you gotta love matchups that have special names), Beavers and Ducks, and the battle for who beats Ohio State in the Rose Bowl (I was apparently incorrect about Oregon clinching the Pac-10 with the win over Arizona, but I got that from ESPN, so you can blame them!).
Prediction: Well, I watched a couple of Oregon State games last year, but I haven't seen them this year which means I haven't had a look at former and now again starting quarterback Sean Canfield. But put the fact that the Beavers were routed at home last year with the fact that they have to go into Autzen tomorrow night and you've got yourself a Ducks win. Quack quack.

Friday, 7PM: Ohio vs. Central Michigan
This will be Central Michigan QB Dan Lefevour’s third MAC Championship game in four years. I can’t really say I know how good of a matchup it will be, but Lefevour is always fun to watch and it will be a good nationally televised chance for him to show his stuff to the NFL so he should be ready to go. Remember, this is a guy whose numbers have been better than Tebow’s!
Prediction: Gotta go with the Chippewas here. They've had a great season, including beating Michigan State in September, and they won't drop the ball here.

Saturday, 11AM: #5 Cincinnati at #15 Pittsburgh
Pitt made this one quite a bit less exciting by letting West Virginia beat 'em last weekend. Still, it's for the Big East championship and the automatic BCS bid, which could have big implications for TCU and Boise State.
Prediction: Tough one here. Can Cincy's weak defense stop Dion Lewis at all? Can Pitt hold the ball long enough to keep the Bearcats from scoring 50? Will I contine to jinx Bill Stull? In the end, I think a quick scorer beats a plodder (spoken like a true disappointed Big Ten fan) and I have to pick Cincinnati.

Saturday, 2:30PM: Arizona at #18 USC
This year is the entire Pac-10's chance to knock of USC, so it's fun seeing who takes advatage of it. I was impressed with Arizona QB Nick Foles' performance against Oregon and I'd like to see if he can duplicate it here. Meanwhile, it will be nice to check in on the Trojans, who I haven't seen since they were steamrolled by Oregon.
Prediction: Arizona's on a nice little high after beating rival Arizona State and I think they'll ride it out here. Plus, I learned my lesson about picking USC in the Oregon game...

Saturday, 3PM: #1 Florida at #2 Alabama
The Granddaddy of 'em All. No wait, that's something different. But this one's exciting nonetheless, since it functions like a national semifinal for the second straight year. I just hope Florida will be showing off those white helmets again - those were nice.
Prediction: I do think Florida's defense will have some trouble with Ingram, but you just can't bet against Tebow in these situations. Alabama does have a good defense, but all it takes is a couple of touchdowns. And frankly, I'd rather see a Florida-Texas championship game. Go Gators.

Saturday, 7PM: #3 Texas vs. #22 Nebraska
Big 12 Championship and the last chance for Texas to crumble and give us a little more BCS intrigue. Bo Pelini's team can always be counted on for some decent defense even if the offense and QB Zac Lee are a little...lacking.
Prediction: Texas. Not even close.

For anyone who isn't so into the above games, it might be worth it to watch #21 Houston at East Carolina or South Florida at Connecticut. I'd watch the latter myself if I were going to be home. But alas, people's birthdays take precedence :)

No comments: