October 1, 2009

College Football: Week 5 Preview

Saturday, 11AM: Pennsylvania at Dartmouth
Yes, really. Thanks to the Big Ten Network's grievous error (choosing to show Northwestern at Purdue), I will not be able to watch Michigan/Michigan State. ABC has decided to cover Iowa/Arkansas State and Penn State/Illinois. Grrreat. Does free me up to watch the old alma mater though, which, much like the old Detroit Lions, has not won since 2007. I won't bother with a prediction (too sad), but I'll be sure to give you a full report.
Still, I will cover the real game for you - #22 Michigan at Michigan State

First real test for the Wolverines, who have a score to settle after losing to the Spartans for the first time in…forever.
Prediction: Michigan by a touchdown. Yes, I’m drinking the Kool-Aid.

Saturday, 2:30: Washington at Notre Dame
Big, big game for both teams. I’ve been looking forward to this one since I saw the Huskies’ opener. It's a chance for Notre Dame to prove itself against a team that's beaten USC and UDub needs to bounce back from a thumping at the hands of Stanford. Irish are already laying the groundwork for a loss with Toegate and the loss of Michael Floyd. Hopefully Sarkisian, Locker and crew can get it done.
Prediction: Washington is the better coached team and should win, but they'll have to score a little more than they have been to beat Notre Dame. I think Washington will come up with this game, but it won't be decided until the end.

Saturday, 7PM: #8 Oklahoma at #17 Miami
I've been looking forward to this one as well, because it just doesn't seem like the same match-up you see all the time. Oklahoma's got the edge in talent and probably size, but Jacory Harris and the Canes will be ready for a bounce back game at home after a poor showing in Blacksburg. Landry Jones has been terrific in replacing Sam Bradford, but this will be his first real test.
Prediction: Oklahoma's D will make the difference (after all, *they're* not missing Bradford and Gresham) and the Sooners won't have too much trouble.
Bonus Points: I’ll also be watching the crawler pretty intently to see what Ohio State does to Indiana in way-too-early anticipation of the Michigan-Ohio State game!

1 comment:

Debra Snider said...

"Michigan by a touchdown" - love the sound of that & sure hope you're right. Go Blue!

Hope you're right about Washington too, though if I had to put money on this game, I'd hold my nose & pick ND. Luckily, I know that betting on college football is a quick way to go broke & so no money or nose-holding will be necessary.