October 30, 2009

College Football: Week 9 Preview

Surprising result in the UNC-Virginia Tech game last night. I didn’t watch because of both other plans and the fact that both teams have been disappointing, but it sounds like it was pretty exciting. Embarrassing loss for the Hokies in Blacksburg.

Friday, 7PM: #21 West Virginia at South Florida
Quick little check-in on the Big East here. I will be a proud attendee of a West Virginia/Cincinnati game in two weeks and a little scouting never hurt anyone. Speaking of Cincy, I’ll be interested to see how South Florida’s young team bounces back from last week's loss to the Bearcats.
Prediction: Haven’t seen the Mountaineers this season, but a look at their schedule reveals that:
a) they lost to Auburn, who as you may recall, was awful against Arkansas
b) their only game decided by fewer than 10 points was a win over Connecticut in which they were outgained 501-387
I predict a bounceback game, and an upset, for B.J. Daniels and the Bulls.

Saturday, 11AM: Nothing. This time, it's a selection of not only poor Big Ten games, but poor Big 12 games as well.

Saturday, 2:30PM: Channel Flip: Michigan at Illinois / Georgia vs. #1 Florida
Big Ten
Tough year for Illinois, but after having Michigan lose the last two games I’ve watched (and going one for their last four), I could use a pick-me-up. Hopefully, I’ll get a pretty convincing one
Prediction: Michigan bounces back, and against a (barely...) D-I team this time!
The Cocktail Party
A more interesting game than it appears on the surface. Yes, Florida is ranked #1, but they’ve looked pretty darn shaky lately. And Georgia put up 52 points on Arkansas, who you might remember did a wonderful job shutting down the Gators.
Prediction: Unfortunately, Georgia's blowout loss to Tennessee makes them unpickable. And I still say the Gators are due for a blowout!

Saturday, 7PM: Channel Flip: #3 Texas at #14 Oklahoma State / #5 USC at #10 Oregon
Big 12
Last trip wire for the Longhorns on their way to the championship? Plus a chance to test my ‘Zac Robinson is a more talented Colt McCoy’ theory. I sure wish the Cowboys had Dez Bryant.
Prediction: Texas. Try as he might, Robinson won't be able to keep 'em in this one.
Pac Ten
I usually don't get to see the West Coast games, so I'm thrilled to get this one. Oregon has made quite a comeback since playing in the world's worst game on September 3rd and has impressive wins over Utah, Cal, and Washington. Meanwhile, USC has only this game in the way of a decent shot at the national championship game. (Well, unless they're planning to lose another ridiculous one, which is always a possibility.)
Prediction: This one's hard. Playing at Autzen is a major home field advantage for the Ducks. And USC has a really bad habit of playing down to opponents. But in the end, I really can't imagine the Oregon team I saw winning this game, even if they are better. Trojans.

No comments: