September 2, 2009

College Football: Week 1 Preview

Thursday, 9:15 #16 Oregon at #14 Boise State
Why I'm watching: The pride of the WAC (that's wack) defends its blue turf against the always uniquely dressed Ducks. The Ducks have a new non-Mike Bellotti coach, but do return Jeremiah Masoli at quarterback. Masoli was knocked out of this matchup last year with a concussion suffered on a late hit. Kellen Moore and his nearly 3,500 2008 passing yards return at quarterback for the Broncos - should be a shootout.
Prediction: Oregon by a touchdown

Saturday, 11AM Minnesota at Syracuse
Why I'm watching: Greg Paulus, of course. We'll see what a four year layoff does to a hotshot high school quarterback. Could be a recipe for hilarity. You also have to like Minnesota's Adam Weber to Eric Decker combination. The Gophers went from 1-11 in 2007 to 7-6 in 2008 and 2009 promises to be their best in a while.
Prediction: Um, Minnesota. And I think Paulus will look pretty overwhelmed overall (you can call a quarterback the point guard of a team, but point guardin' aint quarterbackin'), but should have a few impressive flashes.

Saturday, 2:30PM Channel Flip: Nevada at #23 Notre Dame/Western Michigan at Michigan
Why I'm watching: No real excuse, neither one will be beautiful. I'm a lifelong Michigan fan, which makes me a lifelong Notre Dame hater. And I've gotta know if Michigan is better, if Tate Forcier lives up to the billing, if Jimmy Clausen is still a pale imitation of his brothers, and if we're about to see the crappiest team ever in a BCS bowl thanks to Notre Dame's weak schedule.
Prediction: Notre Dame easily after a shaky beginning/Michigan wins in a closer-than-it-should-be game

Saturday, 7PM #5 Alabama at #7 Virginia Tech
Why I'm watching: Well, it's the marquee game. Greg McElroy is the latest southern boy to step in for the Crimson Tide and though John Parker Wilson's shoes aren't too huge, the team had a nice year - a lot of eyes are on 'em. Meanwhile, Tyrod Taylor has never really sparked my imagination. I think he's a Juice Williams/Terrelle Pryor type of QB - spectacular running threat, can't hit the side of a barn with a pass, not really a quarterback. The Hokies special teams are always worth watching, though.
Prediction: Alabama in a close one, most likely helped by a costly Tyrod Taylor mistake.

Saturday, 10PM #11 LSU at Washington
Why I'm watching: I have to admit I've been on the Jake Locker bandwagon from the beginning and I'm really hoping that this is the year he makes me look smart. Locker returns from a wasted season last year (broken thumb) to new coach Steve Sarkisian, who excels at using his horses wisely (though he had much better horses at USC). Here's hoping Locker has added passing touch to his already accomplished running. LSU's returning from a down year as well and will undoubtedly have some tricks up its collective sleeve.
Prediction: LSU. I'm not really watching this one for the drama.

1 comment:

Debra Snider said...

In their new uniforms with the ridiculous bifurcated orange strip across the rear (do these make my butt look fat? Yes!), Boise State was the uniquely dressed team this go-round. Think that's why they won?

What a lame start to the college football season! Terrible game, and hard to watch, too, what with the garish blue on blue.