September 22, 2009

College Football: Week 4 Preview

**subject to change based on ABC's coverage!**

Thursday, 6:30PM: #4 Mississippi at South Carolina
I'm not stupendously interested here and I imagine I'll just watch a quarter or two of this one, but I can't really turn down a game featuring a top five team, especially when it's the only game on at the time. So this is my chance to get a look at Jevan Snead and the Runnin' Rebels. Plus, Gamecocks (haha!) coach Steve Spurrier usually has a few tricks up his sleeve.
Prediction: Mississippi, I suppose.

Saturday, 11AM: Indiana at #23 Michigan Not the most interesting, I know. But Michigan scored 45 points last week, which I can’t ever remember a Michigan team doing, and I want to see if they can come out with their foot on the gas pedal again.
Prediction: Michigan!! Haven't said that in a while :)
*I have to watch Michigan, but those of you who don't should note two other games in the 11AM slot: potential BCS buster Southern Miss taking on Todd Reesing and the Kansas Jayhawks and Cornell at Yale (that one's for you, Dad!)

Saturday, 2:30PM: #9 Miami at #11 Virginia Tech
Prediction: You know Jacory Harris is going to get it done through the air, so it all comes down to Miami’s defense. If they can contain Tyrod Taylor and make him throw, they’ll win.
Prediction: Miami by 10, definitely dependent on their ability to stop the run.

Saturday, 7PM: Iowa at #5 Penn State
My first look at the likely 2009 Big Ten conference champ and Heisman candidate Darryl “the reason heralded recruit Pat Devlin now takes his snaps in Delaware” Clark. A last second field goal by Iowa cost Penn State a chance at the national championship last year, so you can bet the Nittany Lions will be ready for this one.
Prediction: If it were in Iowa City, I might be tempted to call the upset take two, but Ricky Stanzi coming off of a shaky game plus the whiteout at Happy Valley = Penn State pretty easily.

Saturday, 8:15PM: Texas Tech at #17 Houston Houston got its top 25 ranking by knocking off #3 Oklahoma State, but there’s a lot of grumbling that Mike Gundy’s team was simply overrated. Dark horse Heisman candidate Case Keenum (I really thought Colt McCoy was the best possible name for a Texas QB, but this one stands up pretty well) and the Cougars can silence the doubters by taking this one at home. It’s always entertaining to watch Mike Leach’s pass happy offense as well, and it looked last week like QB Taylor Potts was just as happy in the system as Graham Harrell. It wouldn’t be all that surprising to see 100 points scored.
Prediction: This would be a lot easier if I had seen the Houston-Oklahoma State game. I would think that the line on the game is pretty even, so I'll take the home team.

No comments: