September 18, 2009

College Football: Week 3 Preview

Saturday, 11AM: East Carolina at #24 North Carolina
East Carolina has become a reasonably legit non-big conference opponent (see Johnson, Chris) and Pirates QB Patrick Pinkney has his moments, but I really just want a look at the Tar Heels. I didn’t really believe the hype last year, but they were pretty impressive in their bowl win over West Virginia (albeit in big part because of current New York Giants receiver Hakeem Nicks), so it’s worth it to check them out. Plus, it’s hard to stomach the thought of Cal beating up on the Golden Gophers, which is my other choice.
Prediction: Haven’t seen either team, but the Tar Heels are supposed to have a good defense, which is generally what you need to make sure to beat a weaker opponent.

Saturday, 2:30PM: Channel Flip - Michigan State at Notre Dame / Arizona at Iowa
Once again, Charlie Weis’ butt is on the hot seat. If he doesn’t win this one, I think there just might be an angry mob waiting underneath Touchdown Jesus. That said, Notre Dame is considerably better than the Spartan team I watched lose to the Central Michigan Raccoons (or something) and should be able to pull out a victory unless they’re planning to utterly collapse (which, for the record, would be fine by me). Meanwhile, Iowa's gotta step up for the Big Ten. One Penn State-beating field goal does not a program make and the Hawkeyes need this one to stay relevant after squeaking by Northern Iowa in the opener.
Prediction: Notre Dame by two touchdowns. No idea on the other one, since I couldn't tell you a single player on Arizona's roster. I'll sure be pulling for Iowa though.

Saturday, 6PM: Florida State at #7 BYU
I know FSU was terrible last week, but I really thought QB Christian Ponder did a nice job against Miami (previously dubbed the swiss cheese zone game) and it’ll be interesting to see how he bounces back. It will also be nice to see BYU go up against a non-Mountain West opponent. Florida State, unlike Oklahoma, is known for its defense and I can’t wait to see Max Hall handle the pressure.
Prediction: This is hard. If we get 1st game Florida State, they could give the Mormons a run for their money. BYU by 10.

Not interested/REALLY hope I don’t miss an upset and look like a moron:
Florida/Tennessee: Really? Lane Kiffin should be selling insurance and would be if not for his daddy. This is really just another chance for Urban Meyer to pointlessly stick it to a hapless opponent. Not riveting TV.
Texas/Texas Tech: I suppose I might get sucked in by this one, but it is my personal opinion that 2008 Texas Tech – (professional holdout) Michael Crabtree - (professional Canadian) Graham Harrell = zero. Revenge isn’t a particularly good storyline when you’re playing a different (and less talented) team.

**If anyone is able to watch USC/Washington or Nebraska/Virginia Tech and give a report, that would be mighty useful.

No comments: